Saturday, December 10, 2011

Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments

This craft was a test run for what I want to do with my 3 year olds at work. Granted, I don't expect them to do anything too fancy, but I wanted to see how well salt dough worked and, more importantly, how quickly it dries out.

Recipe:
2 cups plain flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water

Drying time: An hour in the oven at 200F, flipping them half way. The thicker pieces air dried over a week after I grew impatient with the oven method.

The mixture was foolproof and the consistency will be great for 3 year olds. Our focus will be on using the rolling pins (the dough dries out best if rolled quite thin).

I am slightly concerned that they might try to eat the dough, but it's nothing their digestive systems haven't seen before.


I made two small circles, one with a letter on it, then painted them gold once dry. I then glued the circles back to back and wrapped twine around the edges (hot gluing as I went) but left a loop on the top.

These ones will be attached to Christmas presents under the tree for the in-laws, in lieu of a stick-on-Christmas-tag.

1 comment: