Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Detergent Container for Mixing Colours

We have sensory tables in my classroom and I am always trying to think of new ways to use them. This is an idea I came up with after finishing off the laundry detergent on the weekend and not wanting to throw away the container just yet. I thought the button was super cool and might help develop fine motor skills and strengthen muscles in little hands.

Soo... here's what we did. I was a bit late taking the photos, but the water in the sensory table was blue and the water in the detergent container was yellow. I propped the detergent container up on an overturned box so that the button was accessible.


I wanted the kids to press the button and see what happens when two colours mix.


They were so careful in not wanting the colours to mix at first, they were practicing great pouring skills between containers.


They had a hard time pressing the button with one hand, so they found ways to balance a container under the tap to free up both hands.


They were SO cute helping each other pressing the button. I heard, "It's a bit tricky, so I'll help you with it, buddy."


I thought they would get bored once the water was out of the detergent container, but they just turned the container up on it's side, took off the lid and poured lots of water back inside. It was building great hand-eye coordination skills trying to get the water into a smaller hole.


It was such a success that I don't think this container will be going out with the recycling for a while yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment